Sunday, December 1, 2013

7 Quick Takes Advent Edition (Vol IV)


Joining up once again with Conversion Diary, albeit a tad late this time.  Thanksgiving has come and gone.  We had such a great time with our kids and grandkids here!  They are the best! We took walks, went to the Children's Museum, visited the beautiful library in our little town, played in the snow, went to some fun restaurants, and just enjoyed each other's company.  Our daughter and granddaughter both helped me so much in the kitchen as they are both fabulous cooks!  And our little grandson was an absolute charmer and oh so busy! Of course we were sad to see them go, but we're already planning a summer trip!  
As many of you know, today is the first Sunday of Advent. 
We attended the Vigil Mass last night at the big church downtown.  So beautiful.  I thought I would share the prayer for the first week of Advent:

"May this light remind us of Jesus who is the true light of the world.  Be kind to us, Father, for we are filled with worldly cares.  Help us to lift up our souls to a new way of living, that we may always be ready for your coming and deserve your protection through Christ our Lord. Amen."
This morning we woke up to a gentle snow falling.  So we decided to take our walk early...and walk to the little coffee shop down the street for breakfast!  What better motivation to get some exercise than homemade blueberry pancakes with real Maine maple syrup and a pile of bacon?  That's what I call healthy living!
 

It's been fascinating the past few days to watch the ice flow down the Penobscot.  From small pieces to large boulder sized chunks.  It illuminates the strength of the current and one is truly able to get a sense of the power of that river.  
This morning I took out the Nativity that my mom always set up when my sister & I were growing up. 
  
Now, that's got me thinking about Christmas baking and it's time to start making my mom's Christmas pudding!  It gets better the longer it "ages" so I need to get that started this week, to be sure.  And speaking of baking, I was so excited to find at our local grocery store, real honest-to-goodness mincemeat, made right here!  Oh how I love mincemeat pie.  It has apples and raisins and lots of yummy spices.  So a large jar of deliciousness is tucked away in my fridge.  Don't judge me!  If you have never tried this...well, it's just like Christmas in a jar.  I love to make little pies in muffin tins, filled with mincemeat and sprinkle sparkly sugar on top. 

We plan to visit the lovely little coastal village of Camden one day this week to do some Christmas shopping.  This coming weekend the town celebrates "Christmas by the Sea", but we're hoping to avoid those crowds. We're on a tight budget for Christmas as are many of you as well, I'm sure.  We're hoping to find some small but meaningful gifts and I'm excited as we prepare for our first Christmas in Maine!  I pray that you all have a very blessed Advent! 

And, for more Quick Takes, please visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment