Friday, December 6, 2013

7 Quick Takes (Vol V) Waiting and Preparing



 
 
These cold, short, December days have me wanting to stay in and just knit, bake, read and drink cup after cup of tea.  I'm in major nesting mode of late.  
This week, the Christmas shopping was completed. 
This is a picture looking out of the window at the restaurant where we had lunch.  It was a lovely day.  No crowds, cool weather but no wind so walking up and down the streets was quite comfortable.  I love that so many of the shops had items made in Maine.  
With the Christmas shopping completed, it was time to begin the Christmas pudding.  It's actually more like a steamed cake, and traditionally it's served with a lemon sauce...or if you're feeling really fancy, a brandy sauce...and fancier still just go on and flambé that brandy sauce!  But accident-prone me will just stick with the lemon sauce, thank you very much! 

My mom made these every year and sent one to each of us.  For me, it wasn't Christmas until I had some of mom's Christmas pudding.  The recipe was from her grandmother, our Grandma Dunn, who was born in 1885 in Cornwall, England.   The steamer shown in the pictures belonged to her.  A few changes since Grandma Dunn made it...we no longer use suet, but Crisco instead.  (Although I would not be opposed...I've previously confessed my affinity for *real* mincemeat pie.) The other change is my mom would macerate the raisins and currents with about 3 Tablespoons of Grand Marnier (an orange cognac) which I have continued to do.  I love the spicy fragrance that fills the house while these steam.
Once of my very favorite books to read during Advent.  Each day has scripture, a reflection, a commentary, and a short prayer.  I love the Scripture which marked the first day of Advent. " The apostles gathered around Jesus, and told him all that they had done and taught.  He said to them, "Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a while." Mark 6:30-31
And last, but certainly not least, Happy feast day of St Nicholas! 

And for more Quick Takes, please visit Conversion Diary!

2 comments: