Saturday, September 28, 2013

A List

Things I love about my new home:
  • The people!  The folks here are amazing.  Friendly, welcoming, all about community.  
  • Our new parish.  Just lovely. We already feel at home.  God is good!
  • My new home * - it's more than twice as big as my old house, has 32 windows so everywhere I look there are beautiful views and we get to watch the river and the eagles plus lots of other birds, etc.
  • We have such a beautiful neighborhood in which to take walks, and friendly neighbors (see #1)
  • An amazing Farmer's Market every Friday within walking distance from my house.  Fresh fruit, veggies, grass fed beef, pork, cheeses, homemade breads, and ale!
  • Does it go without saying?  The weather.  So many glorious days in a row.  And also rain, which I had desperately missed in Texas.  I know, I know, the winter.  I know that's going to take some getting used to, but I am looking forward to snowy cozy days with knitting and hot chocolate and walks in the snow and a white Christmas.  I'm sure by February I'll be singing a different tune, but I'm going to really try to enjoy what each season has to offer.
  • The food.  It's fresh, local, delicious.  And there's a LOT of ice cream to be had.  And pie.  Need I say more?  Because I could!  (Or just see the 5th bullet, above) So I won't...just trust me, its good.

Things I miss about Texas (& Colorado & New Mexico!):
  • My family.  And friends.  I just miss them all like crazy, period.
  • Lower utility bills - luckily they have ALL kinds of budget plans here for the heating oil and propane.  But it's still expensive.  Good thing our house has a propane gas fireplace, and it's supposed to be 99% efficient.  And from what others here have said, it should really help keep our heating costs in check. 
Things that will take some getting used to for me here:
  • *Basements.  They are just creepy.  I've made my peace with mine (pretty much).  Our laundry area is down there, so I kinda had to make peace with it.  But I still will NOT go down there at night!  lol.  The previous owner finished off one half of it and made it into a "family room" and it even has a gas fire place.  But let me just say, there aint' NO WAY I would be in that basement with...excuse me?  A FIRE?!  Are you freaking kidding me?!  Anyway, I have dubbed that part of the basement the "Adam's Family Room".  Lest I spiral off in some sort of panic mode again...I'll move on.  You can tell I've made my peace with it though, right? ha ha.
  • *My stairs!  It's like having a free gym membership.  Which I guess when I think about it, is a good thing, because of all the great food! Eat a bowl of ice cream, do a load of laundry! See how it can all even out? Ha!
So, overall, I feel incredibly blessed to be living this life.  I know the road ahead, like life anywhere, will be filled with a mix of joys and sufferings.  I pray I can embrace these beautiful days that are such a gift from God and that I can trust in knowing that His love for me will sustain  me through any hardships I will face.  Domine miserere nobis.

No comments:

Post a Comment