Thursday, September 19, 2013

Fall Crafting

Okay, anyone who knows me, knows all too well how I enthusiastically dive into some crafty project, only to come to the realization (yet again!) how completely UNcrafty I am.  *sigh*.  Most of the time, my unfinished projects would find new (and more competent) homes with either my sister or my daughter.  Both of whom are extremely talented and crafty and all of that good stuff.  Not to mention, they both know how to finish a project! 
Well, today after running some errands I stopped by this charming little antique shop near my house.   (did I mention already how everything is so close to my house and how much I love that?!) I met the owner who was a delightful and talented woman.  She introduced me to something called "Penny Rugs".  I had never heard of these before, but they are so pretty!  These first came about in the 19th century when women had to be quite thrifty with their supplies and they would save bits and pieces of their wool used in other projects.  When they had collected enough pieces, they would use a penny (or another coin - hence the name) as a template and cut out the pieces of leftover wool  into which they would sew onto some kind of pattern onto a backing like burlap.  They would then do stitching (usually blanket stitching) around the design.  They would not actually be a rug on the floor, but the finished pieces would be used a table runners, wall hangings, or used in other decorative ways.  I've signed up for a class with her in October and we'll be making either a pumpkin or an apple penny rug.  I've chosen a pumpkin pattern, and I'm really looking forward to learning how to make one of these.  If it's something I end up liking, it might be a fun way to pass those long winter evenings.  It would be fun I'm sure for my sister and my daughter to one day receive something I made that's actually finished! 
Here's an example of a penny rug:
Pumpkin Table Mat

There are so many cute patterns!  I will keep you posted on my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment